The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 05:34:31 PM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  Clean Air System
« previous next »
: [1]
: Clean Air System  ( 1445 )
blipco
: 26

Clean Air System
« : April 22, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »

Dan, I have been pulling the bike apart to get at the valve cover so that I may inspect the valve clearance. I notice that the Clean Air System takes up a lot of space. I understand why it's there but I want to simplify things a bit.
What long term harm would come to the engine (if any) if I did not replace it when I am done? I would cap off the vacuum line and plug the hole in the air box. I would also join the two engine fittings together with a piece of high heat hose.
Would this cause more engine heat to build up within itself?
I have rejetted the motor back to civillian bike specs, otherwise the bike remains stock.
I have a 2002 KZP. I bought a factory repair manual which covers 81 to 83 KZ1000/KZ1100. Do you know which motor I have in my bike? I am confused with the J1, J2, K1, K2, M2, B1, B2, J3, R2, etc,etc. I have difficulty nailing down exact info on this bike. Thanks. Your expertise is always helpful. Mark.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: Clean Air System
« #1 : April 22, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »

The Air system is really just a passive air pump that allows fresh air into the exhaust ports helping to finish burning the fuel. The reed valves that are in the valve cover prevent exhaust gasses from going into the airbox. If you had a bad one or somebody installed them upside down (seen that several times) they will barely run. The Dynojet guys say not to disconnect the system as it creates a negative pressure in the airbox and crankcase helping engine power. Personally I've never noticed any benefit to blocking them off. While it's idling, pinch off the big hose from the airbox to the valve attached to the reed valves. You will notice that the idle drops. The system does seem to have a positive effect on the engine running without any power penalties.  So really it's up to you if you want to disable it.  Hope this helps.....
: [1]  
« previous next »
: