The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 15, 2018, 12:22:20 PM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  Cam chain tensioner
« previous next »
: [1]
: Cam chain tensioner  ( 2287 )
blipco
: 26

Cam chain tensioner
« : April 25, 2012, 06:32:33 AM »

Dan, while I'm waiting on my Kawasaki bucket tool. Can you tell me if it's possible to take the cam chain tensioner off the motor while leaving the BS-34 carbs still attached? I was going to re-set it (if necessary) and don't want to partially remove it. Thank's, Mark.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: Cam chain tensioner
« #1 : April 27, 2012, 04:17:15 PM »

You can take it off with the carbs attached but it takes a little finesse to get in there. I have a special wrench, a 10mm box end that will do the job. Why do you want to take the cam chain tensioner off?
blipco

« #2 : April 27, 2012, 04:47:14 PM »

You can take it off with the carbs attached but it takes a little finesse to get in there. I have a special wrench, a 10mm box end that will do the job. Why do you want to take the cam chain tensioner off?

While adjusting the valves it is necessary to turn the crank cw (and also a little ccw to move the lobes away from the bucket tool). This tightens the cam chain as you know. I thought I had to remove the tensioner to reset it. After looking through the repair manual I found I only had to take the cross wedge cap off the tensioner to reset it. I did notice the chain go slack as I removed the cap and when I replaced it it tightened up again as I went about my business measuring the valve clearances.  Or at least I hope that is true (just removing/replacing the cap) as I am having trouble getting a clear explanation. I have not yet started the engine as I am awaiting replacement shims. Thx, Mark.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

« #3 : May 21, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »

One thing: be VERY careful when using that bucket tool. I've seen 4 different mechanics crank the engine over with it in place and blow out the cylinder head.  Not a pretty picture.  :o
blipco

« #4 : May 22, 2012, 05:09:04 AM »

No worries, I am new to the bucket tool so I'm probably less likely to take it for granted and forget about it. I was turning the the motor over by hand. Everything turned out great. Mark
: [1]  
« previous next »
: