The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
October 16, 2018, 02:59:11 AM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  CARBS
« previous next »
: [1]
: CARBS  ( 2779 )
jeffwho
: 20

I'm a llama!

CARBS
« : September 06, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »

I have a 2002 KZP with about 10,000. miles. Due to illness it sat for 2 years. Ran fine before but now the carbs were frozen. I took them completely apart soaked them in carb cleaner put them back together and they move fine now. I replaced the fuel but now have an idle problem, the bike faulters off idle, I have to use more throttle to get going. The idle also drops off at a stop, it will sit at around 1000 rpm and suddenly drop way down, causing me to rev it up again. I guess I'm looking for a place to start looking to find the problem. I hope you can point me in the right direction.
Thanks, Jeff.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: CARBS
« #1 : September 06, 2012, 04:18:43 PM »

Your idle circuits are still plugged. Either the jets are or the passages. Where are you located?
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #2 : September 06, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »

I'm in Las Vegas.  I should be able to check that out, I have all the books and pictures I'm sure I can find what I missed.  It will take a few days, retired and lazy, but I will post again if I find something.
Thanks, Jeff.
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #3 : September 22, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »

Hi, I just took the carbs off, removed the mixture screws and the bowls. I shot carb cleaner thru the pilot jets, screw holes and the smaller holes on the intake side of the carbs then shot air thru the same. Is there anything else I should do?
The book I have said to start the screws at 1 1/4 out and adjust from there for non U.S. models but gives no info for U.S. models, is this the place to start?
Any tips on replacing the carbs? Last time I removed the air ducts but it was real tough getting them back in with the carbs in place. I plan to leave the ducts in place this time, there all very soft and pliable, is there a better way?
Thanks again, Jeff.
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #4 : September 24, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »

Hi, I put my carbs back on this morning, just mashed the air ducts as they went in. I made a tool using a thin screwdriver I bent a 90 degree angle about 1/2 inch from the end and was able to move the ducts into position on the carbs by putting the bent end inside the duct. I was able to push in the choke in less then a minute and the idle was good. I tried to adjust the air screws but I'm not sure if I did anything. I started at 1 !/4 out and only saw a very slight rise in RPM as I adjusted them out. Another thing I notice and don't remember if it was like this before when I rev it up the revs come down slowly, is that normal? 
I went for a short ride everything seemed normal but at stop it suddenly reved up to 4000 rpm. Nothing I did seemed to bring it down but then it came back to normal.
Can you tell me what else I might have messed up? I rode it home, about 1/2 a mile home and it seemed OK.
Thanks, Jeff.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

« #5 : September 24, 2012, 07:11:55 PM »

If you're using the stock sized pilot jets the normal setting is somewhere between 2.5 to 3.5 turns out from fully in. As far as it hanging up at 4000 rpm I would check to see if the screws from the clamps on the carb intake manifolds aren't touching the throttle bellcrank, usually the #3 carb clamp. Don't ask how I know that ;)
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #6 : September 24, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »

Thanks, I'll check the idle screws again. I had that problem with the clamps once befor when I replaced some carbs so I check the throttle as I tighten them up but I'll check again.  Jeff.
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #7 : October 01, 2012, 02:08:59 PM »

Dan, Just wanted to write and say THANKS for all your help. Took the bike out this morning for a 2 hour ride and everything was OK. I could not find any reason why the carbs hung up that one time, I checked the clamps but they were OK. I think something might have got hung up on the center idle speed screw.
I've got an '82 KZ1100 Spectre with carbs that need attention, with the info I got from you maybe I'll get them right the first time.
Thanks again, Jeff.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: