The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 01:50:32 AM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  Another carb question?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Another carb question?  ( 2480 )
jeffwho
: 20

I'm a llama!

Another carb question?
« : October 06, 2012, 10:47:23 AM »

I cleaned and replaced the carbs on my '82, when running the head pipe is cold on #4. I checked compression, 120 on all. Checked the plugs for spark, all good. I drained the bowl and can see the fuel in my test tank moving to refill it. I pulled the carbs back out and went thru #4 again, every thing looks OK to me. I'm stuck, is there something I'm missing?  Thanks, Jeff.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: Another carb question?
« #1 : October 06, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »

Try running it with the air duct off, and with it running @ idle,spray a little carb cleaner into the carb inlet and see if that makes a difference. If it suddenly starts running for a second you have a carb problem still. If that has no result, try putting your hand over the carb inlet and see if it's pulling fuel out of the carb. You can get the same effect by pulling the idle mixture screw out while it's idling and spraying some carb cleaner down the hole.
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #2 : October 06, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

Dan,  I took the #4 carb off and cleaned it again. I put it back on and there is vacuum at the intake with the air duct off. I also put a gauge on the carb and it was around 5 inches. I sprayed the cleaner in and it seemed to slow the moter down. I can see the slide moving up and down and it looks to be same as the #1 carb when I twist the throttle and the suction seems about the same as well. I took the bike for a ride it feels OK but the temp on the head pipe still seems low, 1 2 &3 were about 400 while #4 was only 200.
Thanks, Jeff.
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #3 : October 06, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »

More info, I took a longer ride temps were the same 1 2 &3 around 400 and #4 200. I pulled the plugs and #4 looks carbon fouled, sooty black. The plugs are the B8ES and are new, I checked the wire and it read about 5 ohms around the same as the others. I also switched the # 1 plug with 4 in the begining to see if that made any difference, it did not.
Thanks, Jeff.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God

« #4 : October 07, 2012, 07:20:58 AM »

When you cleaned the carbs, did you take out the needle jets and emulsion tubes? When you look down the carb throats where the jet needles go into the  emulsion tubes do they all look the same? Are the carb slide jet needle holders (round piece below the spring) in place? If they're not in place, the jet needle will be bouncing around and giving you a rich condition. Does this set of carbs use a plug over the pilot jet (metal stopper with O ring)? If that's missing or leaking it will run rich. A higher than normal fuel level will do the same thing. If the enrichener plunger (aka choke) isn't seating it will run rich. 
You can find a parts diagram here if you don't have one.

http://kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentUrl=/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #5 : October 07, 2012, 06:10:34 PM »

Dan,  I removed the needle and the slide, the plastic needle plate is there. There is a plug over the pilot jet and it seems tight. I did not remove the needle jet #18 in my picture. when looking down the throats of all the carbs in # 4 the slide seems to sit about a 1/16 higher then the others. Can you tell me how to remove the needle jet, #18, and were I find the emulsion tubes?  And how can I tell if the choke plunger is seated?
Thanks, Jeff.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God

« #6 : October 07, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »

If you have a pair of forceps or small needle nose pliers, raise the slide and try moving the jet needle up.  It should have a small amount of free play (probably about .020"). Check all of them, they should be the same. The needle plates tend to swell and don't seat fully allowing the jet needle to float up. The bike you're working on is a 1982 P model? It has been a while since I've had a set of carbs apart on one of those. The emulsion tube on that model is also the needle jet. It will have bleed holes along the side of it. To remove it, take the main jet and washer out and it taps out through the top if I remember correctly. The enrichener is a little harder to diagnose. If it's not seating you will hear a slight hissing noise from that carb since opening the enrichener also allows more air in. You have probably noticed that when the enrichener is on, there's a hissing noise that goes away when you shut them. To check/repair you have to pull that plunger out and check the bottom to make sure that it's not damaged and there's no crud on the seat. One other thing to consider. The main jet and pilot jet have air correction jets in the carb throat. If it is plugged it will run richer. With the engine idling and near operating temp, what does that cylinder do when you screw in the mixture screw a half a turn at a time? If you close it completely does it drop that cylinder? Are you using the stock size pilot jets? Did you do anything that would change the size like shoving a piece of wire or drill bit through them? Last question: are you sure that there's a jet in the carb and that it's tight? I have seen people actually put them back together and forget to put a jet in there under the plug.
One other point: What's the mileage on this unit? If the valve clearance is off, usually too tight on the intake it will run weird. The compression won't be that far off but if you did a cylinder leakdown it would show. Just something else to consider.
jeffwho

I'm a llama!

« #7 : October 09, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »

Dan, Thanks for all your help and info. The bike belongs to a friend and I've been trying to help. He's decided were in over our heads and he's probably right. He has taken it to a local shop he's used before, I hope they can figure it out.  Again thanks for all your help,  Jeff.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: