The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
September 19, 2018, 01:50:13 AM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  Adding air to front forks?
« previous next »
: [1]
: Adding air to front forks?  ( 1801 )
blipco
: 26

Adding air to front forks?
« : November 01, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »

Dan, I know the fork air is supposed to be 0 PSI (atmospheric pressure) but would it do any harm to add, say, 10 PSI to each fork to firm up the suspension for a steadier ride at highway speeds?  I have a 2002 KZP in good condition. Head bearings are good and properly adjusted.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: Adding air to front forks?
« #1 : November 01, 2012, 08:49:45 AM »

I would start with about 6psi first. Have the motorcycle on the centerstand so there's no static load on it. Don't hit it with a high pressure source or you will blow out your fork seals. I use a pump designed for that purpose. Since there's such a small volume of air just checking the pressure will decrease it. I wouldn't go over 10lbs since at full compression the pressure is high enough to blow the seals out. You can also put spacers on the springs but getting the cap back on straight can be quite a challenge.
blipco

« #2 : November 01, 2012, 11:16:54 AM »

Got it. I'll start with 6 PSI. I have a bicycle hand pump that I have attached a very accurate gauge to. I also noticed the previous owner has the rear shocks set at minimum preload. My bad for not  looking at this earlier. Mark
blipco

« #3 : November 06, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »

I went 5 out of 7 preload notches on the shocks and about 7 PSI on the forks. Wow, nice change in the high speed handling. The bike doesn't wallow anywhere near as much as it did. Highly recommended fix. Thanks.  :)
: [1]  
« previous next »
: