The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 05:52:14 PM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  Camshaft
« previous next »
: [1]
: Camshaft  ( 1569 )
2ndsojourn
: 22

Camshaft
« : January 24, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

Hello again Dan.
I am told the torque specs  for the camshaft cap bolts is incorrect.  The manual indicates 12ftlbs.  But others informed me that is too much torque for a six millimeter bolt.  The machinists doing the head work says that 12ftlbs is probably too much for that bolt.  I had to install 7 helicoils in the cap bolts.
Thanks.
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: Camshaft
« #1 : January 30, 2013, 07:37:33 PM »

That is correct. The torque is too high. I usually torque them to 10 ft lbs. If they won't hold that, they need to be repaired. The cheap bolts will usually break or yield and come loose. There is a hacky fix for that and it works very well. Instead of putting helicoils or timeserts in, you just buy some nice 1/4-20 grade 8 flange head bolts from McMaster-Carr and thread them in. You don't even need to retap the hole, the bolt will do it for you. Just put some anti-seize on the thread and run them in. When you finally wear the hole out, you can still put in the helicoil because they require a 1/4" hole. Far as I'm concerned, it's a win win situation but I have worked with people that don't care for that fix. Whatever floats your boat, if you can't sleep at night knowing there's non-stock higher quality bolts holding your cams in, by all means spend the money and put those helicoils in  ;D
: [1]  
« previous next »
: