The sponser of this site is Blais Web Creations. Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
July 15, 2018, 12:16:51 PM
 : Got a question? Just post it here.

+  Dan's Forum
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion NO SPAM!
| | |-+  Cowling
« previous next »
: [1]
: Cowling  ( 1097 )
2ndsojourn
: 22

Cowling
« : May 03, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »

Greetings Dan,
Hope all is well with you.  When you perform valve service, do you remove the fairing ?  If so do you remove the headlight or where the cowling is attached at the steering neck.  Hope you have everything is repaired from the storm.
thanks in advance
jim
Motor Doctor
Dan the Motor Man
Administrator
YaBB God
: 346

Re: Cowling
« #1 : May 03, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »

The quickest way to do it is this:
 Remove the headlight outer trim ring (phillips screw on bottom)
 Reach in with some needle nosed pliers and pull the spring off that holds the headlight in.
 Remove headlight
 Remove two nuts behind headlight
 Remove two nuts that hold fairing bracket to crashbar
 Tip fairing forward onto front fender, padded of course, with the lower fairing mounts resting on the crashbar.

When you've done that a couple of thousand times, it can be done in under a minute tops.....
The nuts holding the fairing to crashbar are SAE and the ones behind the headlight are metric.

You can also remove the two bolts that hold the front fairing mount to the frame but I never liked that method, it was harder to hold the fairing up while you're trying to start those bolts ;)

We used to put a "pie slice" in the headlight retaining ring for spring clearance, made it easier to get it off the headlight holder.
2ndsojourn
: 22

Re: Cowling
« #2 : May 03, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

Thanks Dan.
I am very familiar with the difference between the metric and sae bolt.  I learned that the hardway.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: